In view of the devastating floods affecting much of Australia, I’m going to change the direction of this blog and deal with the huge problem of mould and mildew.
It’s not generally known that mould releases trillions of microscopic spores and chemical vapours that float in the air and are spread by wind or water. When these spores and chemical vapours are inhaled, swallowed or land on the skin, they cause health problems such as asthma, eczema, sinusitis, conjunctivitis or hayfever in susceptible people. Mucous membranes are particularly vulnerable. Therefore, it’s important to reduce — as much as possible — the growth of mould and mildew in and around your home.
Cleaning up after flood waters is a huge task, especially when humidity is high. Powerful chemical cleaning agents are often used in clean-ups, but these frequently cause added health problems. Young children, the elderly and people who suffer allergies and intolerances are particularly vulnerable to the effects of:
1. Chemical cleaning agents and
2. Mould and mildew spores and chemical vapours.
The good news is that there are chemical-free alternatives that you can use to remove mould and mildew in and around your home. It is these solutions that I will talk about tomorrow and in at least ten more blogs.