1. Increase ventilation by using an extractor fan in your bathroom and kitchen, and by opening up windows and doors to allow good through airflow.
2. Fix leaking pipes.
3. Always dry shoes, bags and coats before putting them away in cupboards.
4. Store linen and clothing in airy cupboards. Leaving damp leather articles and clothing in warm cupboards encourages the growth of mould and mildew.
5. Choose the sunniest room for young children to sleep in, with good through ventilation.
6. Dry your bath towels, bath mat and face washers daily — out in the sun. Damp towels can develop a musky smell due to mould.